Wednesday, September 23, 2009

TCOT essay test # 3

Reading this book had affected the way I look at my education. To start with I am very grateful that girls are allowed to have an education here in the U.S. I could not begin to imagine how life would be if I were illiterate. Going to school and getting and education is one of the most important things in order to have a lifelong, rewarding career. Especially in the United States, you don't have much of a chance of getting a job unless you prefer to do fast food for the rest of your life.
Another reason why after reading this book has changed the way I look at my education is the fact that we actually have buildings to attend school in. When I read that they were outside in the cold weather scratching their lessons in the dirt with sticks I could not believe it. I had to reread that paragraph just to make sure. In Pakistan they don't have supplies either so it did not surprise me that the more "fortunate" children had a slab that they wrote on with sticks dipped in mud. What a great upgrade.
To conclude, I am very proud that I live in a free country, and that I don't have to worry about being left out of a great opportunity base on my gender. I'm grateful that here in America there are schools, supplies, and laws that don't discriminate against gender, and they keep everyone in line. Even if families can't afford to send their children to school there is still help to ensure that everyone has a chance at an education. Although I am happy to find out that Mortenson's plan had worked. Now all of those children in the remote parts of Pakistan can have a chance at something else in life besides farming.

No comments:

Post a Comment